The application of water in the food and beverage industry is huge and multipurpose. Apart from being an ingredient in products, the water is convenient, hygienic and inexpensive resource for conducting cleanups and other production needs. There is a wide variation in wastewater generated from this industry due to variation in the raw materials and products that are used.
Characteristics of effluents from Food and Beverage Industry
The food manufacturing wastewater contains high concentrations of several organic compounds including carbohydrates, starches, proteins, vitamins, pectines and sugars which are accountable for high chemical oxygen demand (COD) and suspended solids. The wastewater resulted from a series of processes (cleaning, cutting, slicing, washing, frying, salting, coating and packing) is one of the significant source of environmental pollution if not treated properly.
Wastewater treatment process
A number of technologies are involved in treating water, used in food and beverage industries. From removing the FOGs to treating high level BODs and CODs, there are several stages of water treatment that help in eco-friendly discharge:
- Clarification: Clarification helps remove suspended solids and particulate matter with the help of flocculants and coagulants, which encourages settling.
- Biological treatment: This step helps upgrade the quality of food and beverage industry effluent, by decomposing the organics.
- Filtration: This is used for physical, mechanical and biological separation of solids from treated water.
- Reverse Osmosis: This step uses membrane based separation to recover reusable water.
- Disinfection: Disinfection with water treatment chemicals and UV destroys disease-causes organisms to prevent their spread. Process such as ozonation and ultraviolet irradiation also help in the elimination of biological contaminants that remain in the water after treatment.
- Softening: This step require water softening involves removing calcium, magnesium and other metal cations using ion exchange resins.
- Deionization: It is used for water softening, either cationic or anionic ion-exchange.
With Rochem India, the wastewater treatment for the food and beverage industry is convenient and effortless. We’ve served many industries and catered to their specific needs of water treatment equipment and plants. We proactively recommend and suggest equipment that can work optimally for you. Our wastewater treatment is best suited for all your needs and necessities.
We offer customized and continuously evolving technology that adapts with the changing needs of the industry and our clientele. Get in touch with us through our mail at email@example.com, or leave a message on our social media accounts - Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn or call us on +91 (22) 6704 9000 for any enquiries and further information.